Our traditional Kiwi diet which tends to be high in meat and dairy fat – the meat and three veggies meal –
…has made us very vulnerable to heart and blood vessel disease, not to mention a whole range of other diseases, such as diabetes.
Research has shown that adopting healthy eating habits we can both reduce the risk of developing high blood pressure and lower an already elevated blood pressure.
The New Zealand Heart Foundation has recommend the following guidelines for maintaining healthy eating habits.
- make vegetables a major part of at least one meal each day and eat fruit frequently
- choose whole grain breads instead of white varieties more often
- eat more cereals (rice, pasta and other grains) and legumes (dried peas and beans). Try flavoring these with small amounts of lean meat, rather than basing the whole meal around meat
- use only very small amounts of very lean meats and poultry without skin
- choose low-fat dairy products (milk, yoghurt and cheese)
- eat fish (not fried) at least twice a week
- ]make high fat and/or high sugar bakery products, fast foods, desserts, soft drinks and confectionery occasional treats rather than everyday food
- use small amounts of margarine and vegetable oils (preferably olive and canola) instead of butter
- grill, boil, steam, bake or microwave rather than fry
- reduce your salt intake
- look for the Heart Foundation Tick for healthy food choices
- drink plenty of water
- rediscover the joy of cooking wholesome meals at home and teach your kids!
Calculate your Body Mass Index Now!
If you know your height and weight, then you can very easily
calculator your BMI right now.
Benefits of Weight Loss
Being overweight is a risk factor for health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides, arthritis, gall bladder disease, gynecologic problems, some cancers, and even lung problems …
The Risk of Death Rises with Increasing Weight
It has been estimated that Tens of thousands of deaths per year may be attributable to obesity …
Dietary Fat and Cholesterol:Your Are What You Eat
It’s important to recognize the differences between saturated and unsaturated fats, so let us take a look at the distinctions …
Behaviors That Will Help You Lose Weight
Setting the right goals is an important first step. Most people trying to lose weight focus on just that one goal: weight loss. The most productive areas to focus on are the dietary and exercise changes for long-term weight change …
Do You Have High Blood Pressure?
Then you need to read this book, by New Zealand author, Dr. David Lovell-Smith.
In this book, Dr. David Lovell-Smith describes how his patients successfully used diet, lifestyle changes, and Transcendental Meditation to bring their blood pressure down.
This book offers new hope and insight for those with high blood pressure but it is not for hypertensives alone. The knowledge which Dr. Lovell-Smith presents in his book is timely and relevant, and its exposition is long overdue.
Click here to read more about “Perfect Blood Pressure”